The American Gold Eagle was authorized by the Gold Bullion Coin Act of 1985, which became Public Law 99-185. Since 1986, the gold bullion coins have been minted and issued by the United States Mint. The weight, content, and purity of each gold coin guaranteed by the United States government. Gold Eagles have been produced for precious metals investors and collectors.
This coin video guide provides historical background on the American Gold Eagle, information on the various offerings over the years, and rarities and special issues to consider when collecting or investing.
Topics covered include:
- Legislative background and approval
- Obverse design from the Saint Gaudens Gold Double Eagle
- Reverse design of a family of eagles by Miley Busiek
- Coin specifications and composition
- 10th Anniversary American Gold Eagle Set
- Other Gold Eagle rarities
- 2009 American Gold Eagle coins